Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Memories

Memories...
 
...A little piece of the past preserved, while everything around us is forever changing.  Some are good, some are not.  Memories are powerful.  They can make us feel emotions we haven't felt in years, and there are little triggers all around us, everyday.
 
Today, I am so grateful for memories.  I have a lot of great ones...and a lot of not-so-great ones.  But they all have helped make me who I am today, and they remind me that things don't last forever.  That means difficult times don't last forever.  Whatever the outcome, they do end, which I find comforting.  But it also means good times don't last forever.  While I find that a little depressing, it reminds me to appreciate the good times a little more.
 
Last night in bed I started thinking about all the things that have changed in my life recently as well as the changes to come.  I started thinking about our old house, church, and friends and it really upset me.  We are about to sell our old house, and last night that made me feel we were about to lose all ties to our old life and all that went with it.
 
So as I laid there, eyes burning, I started to pray to God for comfort and peace about all our life changes.  That's when He assured me that my fears were unwarranted.  Yes, it will be a little less convenient to visit without our old house to stay in, but it won't be impossible.  And there are so many different means of communication available, there's really no reason we can't keep in touch with our friends.  But the most powerful tie to our old life are our memories!
 
I remember signing those papers with my husband and moving into our first home together.  I remember our first visit to our church and meeting who would become some of our lifelong friends.  I remember the fights my husband and I had and the growing they led to.  I remember bringing our first child home from the hospital and the family there to welcome him.  I remember the roller coaster ride of being new parents and how we got to go through it with our friends.  I remember the pain of two pregnancy losses and then the joy of bringing our second child home.  I remember welcoming home so many of our friends' newborns.  I remember taking care of my husband when he had surgery after being diagnosed with testicular cancer, and the outpouring of love and support from our church family.  I remember countless cookouts, bonfires, Bible studies, and times spent with amazing friends.  I remember laughing, crying, worshipping, and praying with those friends.  I remember my son's first day of preschool.  And so much more!
 
What a beautiful season of life, so full of blessings!
 
While that chapter of our life is over, it's still a part of our book and always will be.  I think I'll revisit that chapter often and smile at all the wonderful things in it. 
 
Today, I am so grateful for memories!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful for the friendship we and our children were able to form while you lived here. I also have so many wonderful memories of you! Love and miss you all! Rita Beth

    ReplyDelete