Tuesday, September 25, 2012

5 Things I Hate About You

Do you remember the movie 10 Things I Hate About You?  The storyline is about 2 teenagers who can't stand each other.  They just clash on everything, but can't seem to stay away from each other.  Finally they realize all the things they hate about each other are in fact the very things they love so much about each other, but don't want to admit it.
 
My love story isn't quite the same, but there are some similarities.  While my husband and I definitely didn't clash when we first met, there are many times we clash now.  And while we're not afraid to admit that we love each other very much, sometimes we forget all the reasons why.  There are many things that irk us about each other, but when we step back and look at those things, it's those very things that we used to love so much about each other.  Now that's a little backwards, isn't it?
 
Has this ever happened to you?  Have you ever realized the things you used to admire about your husband are somehow driving you crazy now?  How in the world does that happen?!
 
This week's (week 4) Revive Your Marriage challenge is to list 5 things you admire about your husband.  When I started to think about that list, I realized what I just shared with you - the things I admire most are also the things that can annoy me the most.  Lord, change my heart!  I am so excited to share the list with you all and then to start changing my attitude about those 5 things..and any other qualities of my husband that deserve admiration and praise.  I am so thankful for this challenge, because it places my focus on my husband who needs and deserves more of my focus, and it helps me remember why I fell in love with him in the first place.
 
Here are 5 things I hate love about my husband:
  1. He works hard at everything he does.
  2. He's constantly challenging himself and setting goals for himself.
  3. He's easy-going and doesn't worry much.
  4. He's very friendly and hardly knows a stranger.
  5. He likes to be doing something...always.
So let's look deeper into these things. 
 
-If he didn't always work so hard, maybe he'd get to spend more time with me and our kids.  But then he probably wouldn't have the amazing job he has now.  And I wouldn't want him to be lazy.  Thank you God for my hard-working husband!  
 
-If he didn't focus so much on challenging and setting goals for himself, maybe he could focus on us a little more.  But I wouldn't want him to be apathetic about his life or his health.  I want him to continue to grow.  Thank you God for my husband who always wants to better himself! 
 
-Sometimes I get frustrated that he doesn't worry about the things I worry about, and sometimes it makes me think he doesn't care.  He cares.  I know he does.  And it would be pretty miserable around here if we were both worried all the time!  He definitely balances me out in this area.  Thank you God for my easy-going husband! 
 
-If he didn't have to talk to every person we come across, he could give us all of his attention and we could be on our way faster when we're out and about.  But then he probably wouldn't have as many friends as he has.  And then I wouldn't have as many friends as I do.  And he wouldn't be able to set a very good Christian example or reach others if he never talked to anyone else.  Thank you God for my friendly husband!
 
-If he didn't get so stir-crazy when he's home he could just sit and relax with me more.  But my kids don't really want to just sit.  And we'd probably get bored if all we did was relax at home, and we'd miss out on a lot of fun activities and experiences.  Thank you God for my fun, active husband!
 
 
I love my husband very much!  And I love him for many more reasons than I've shared with you today.  He is a wonderful man, and it's a shame I don't tell him that more often...or at all!  I'm going to write my list of 5 things I love about him and share it with him sometime this week.  (Maybe I'll share it on Friday - it's his birthday!)  And I want to start telling him at least one thing each day that I love, admire, or appreciate about him.  Not only will I be building him up, I am confident that the more I make it a point to appreciate little things about him and his character, the more I'll actually appreciate him overall.  Now that's a win for both of us!


*Check out the Revive Your Marriage blog series by clicking the button on my left sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment