Saturday, September 1, 2012

And So It Begins!

Remember a few posts ago when I said I was ready to have a busy schedule?  Well here we go!  My 4-year-old had his first soccer practice tonight.  He's already got another one scheduled for tomorrow and then games start a week from tomorrow.  On a side note, when he wasn't rolling around in the grass or hanging from the goal, he actually did pretty good tonight!  He'll have a game every Saturday for the next couple of months.  Three days after my son's first game, my 1 1/2-year-old starts her gymnastics class which will be every Monday evening, for the entire school year if we choose to keep her enrolled.  And of course if she likes it!

I've been taking the kids to a Playgroup on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Story Time on Wednesdays, and we've had a lunch date each of the last three weeks (which I hope to continue).  The Parents As Teachers lady started home visits with us on Monday, my husband and I started the 9-week Financial Peace program on Wednesday, and we had our weekly dinner with my in-laws last night plus a bonus DQ run with them a few nights ago.  I've been invited to two different events next week, the kids both have Well-Checks scheduled for the next, and my weekends for the next few months are already starting to fill up with activities!  Isn't it funny how once the school year starts, your calendar goes from empty (or vacation) to "let's see how many things we can cram into each week and then pray for the weekend to get here," even if your kids aren't in school yet!?!  I can only imagine what our schedule will look like with homework and school events/activities added into the mix. 

I guess that's where family priorities come into play.  My husband and I have discussed many times how many activities we'll allow or encourage our kids to be in at one time.  I love what Dr. Dobson from Family Talk has to say on that subject, but that's a discussion for another time.  Another issue I've been thinking of lately is personal priorities as a Chrisitian and my role as a spiritual leader for my children.  It seems like we went from "I am soooo bored!" to "I can't wait for a do-nothing day!" over night.  We've added a lot to our schedule, but I still get the laundry done.  I still get the dishes done.  My house is clean right now.  I still watch an episode of M*A*S*H with my husband before bed.  (I know, we're dorks.)  I still waste time on the computer.  We've obviously adjusted.  We've made time for all the new stuff.

We've made time for all the new stuff.  So why haven't I made time to read my Bible consistently?  Why do I keep saving my prayers until bedtime only to fall asleep before I finish?  Why can't I read a Bible story to my kids every day?  Well, because I just haven't made the time.  There's no excuse.  If I can fit a thousand things into one day, keep a neat home, and still find time for M*A*S*H and this blog, I can surely spend a few minutes with God.  The Bible says I need to study God's word in order to be competent and equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).  I am to never stop praying (1 Thessalonians 5:17).  And no matter what we're doing or how busy we are, I am to teach my children God's word through it all (Deuteronomy 6:6-7). 

So right here, right now, I resolve to make time for God.  Every day.  No excuses!  I hope you'll do the same.  No, I pray you'll do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment